Tuesday, July 21, 2015

A wonderful life!

      I suppose that you may have guessed by the title of this post that I have made the most of my sixty-six years here on this little planet of ours.  I have been what many might call a “Jack of all Trades” and what some of my detractors might call a master of none.  I have changed careers almost as often as people change their choice of cell phone.  I have built commercial buildings and private homes, owned my own home improvement business, sold cars, owned my own motorcycle business,

and when my body began to show the signs of wear and tear I switched to author, photographer and videographer.  I have sold over five thousand photo products, twenty-five thousand books, and three thousand DVDs in National Park Service Book Stores.  I have had better than average success in nearly all of my endeavors by maintaining a simple philosophy that my good old granddad imparted to me in my youth.  One day when I was feeling particularly anxious about my future I asked him for advise and he looked me straight in the eye and said, “don’t talk foolishness boy, go ahead and try whatever you think will work, besides what’s the worst the world can do to you if you fail and end up on your butt, hell they can’t eat you!”  He went on to say (by this time he was wound up) “that no one ever really succeeded by clinging to what they had, it’s the person who learns to let go that finishes near the top.”
     Well I took my grandfathers advice, (at least for the most part, wives and children do not appreciate a total devil may care attitude in their bread winner) and made the most of my meager talents.  Now that my demise is nearly staring me in the face I have decided to have a little fun and perhaps share what little knowledge I have gleaned from my experiences with anyone fool enough to listen.  By the way on the subject of dying, I think that like the aging poet when asked what he wanted engraved on his tombstone said, just put “I just knew something like this was going to happen.”  In any case back to the original subject, my posts will cover, history, creating good photos, making video products, riding motorcycles, favorite travel spots, otherworldly matters, and how to become a great lover!  The last one I threw in just for fun, after all, if I was a great lover would I have time to write a stupid Blog.
   
 By the way, the main title “The real fun is in the curves” in case you hadn’t guessed by now doesn’t just pertain to roadways, motorcycles or young women in bikinis, it's my incredible sly use of a metaphor to describe  how one should take on life.  After all driving down a perfectly straight road might be safe and sure, but it tends to put one to sleep.  It’s only when that hairpin curve pops up out of nowhere that you really begin to pay attention and thereby live life to the fullest, unless of course you were asleep when you got to the hairpin curve in which case you probably aren’t reading this post.  So sit back and try to enjoy my humble effort to entertain you, who knows you might even end up  as illiterate as I are.  

No comments:

Post a Comment